Share This Article
Putting products on the delicate skin of your face can be a little scary. You want to walk the fine line between getting the results you want and keeping your skin safe and healthy. How do the TrueScience products strike that balance?
It starts with a high safety profile. Governments throughout North America, Central America, and Asia-Pacific have recognized the ingredients in our products as safe and acceptable for use. We use only ingredients that have been tested to ensure safety, purity, quality, and efficacy. Our products also must contain substances that keep the active ingredients stable through any fluctuations in humidity and temperature, helping them stay germ-free and safe for use. Ingredients can be categorized as “natural,” “naturally-derived,” and “synthetic,” and it’s helpful to know what each of these terms mean:
- Natural means derived from plants. In general, that’s a good thing. But think about it—lots of things that are bad for you are derived from plants. For example, lethal poisons like hemlock or deadly nightshade are completely “natural.” There’s also the issue of allergens—lots of people are allergic to substances found in plants naturally. “Natural” also means that the ingredient is subject to deterioration and/or contamination by bacteria—which is also completely “natural.” So even if an ingredient is natural, keeping it safe and stable is very important.
- Naturally-derived means that natural ingredients were processed to create an ingredient. For example, palm or coconut oil is processed to create cetearyl alcohol. This ingredient helps emulsify a product, meaning that it will not separate, and palm or coconut oil by itself would not accomplish this. All the same rules apply—safety and stability of these ingredients is top priority.
- Synthetic: These are compounds developed in a laboratory by chemically creating an ingredient, often using natural substances as a base. They are used to keep a product safe (by eliminating risk of bacteria multiplying in a product) or stable (by keeping the product chemically stable so it doesn’t separate).
Each of the four TrueScience products contains all three of these types of ingredients; however, a large amount of the active ingredients are plant-based (i.e., natural or naturally-derived). This ensures that our products are good for your skin, contain high quality ingredients, and meet all safety and quality standards.
Some people are concerned when they hear the word “synthetic” in relation to skin care products. There are some really great reasons to use a synthetic molecule instead of a natural one. One of those reasons is allergens. A synthetic molecule can provide the same action as a natural one without causing any allergic reaction. Product shelf life is another reason to use synthetic ingredients. Some natural substances, such as essential oils, can have a preservative effect, but they must be used in such large quantities that they would interfere with the product’s active ingredients and affect the product’s scent and texture. As mentioned above, other reasons have to do with safety and stability.
Here are a few ingredients that people worry a bit about, and reasons to set your mind at ease about why they are included:
- Polysorbate 20: This ingredient is derived from lauric acid, which is a fatty acid found in coconut oil, fruits, and berries. It is used as an emulsifier (keeps product from separating) and lubricator. It adds fragrance and has a soothing effect on the skin. It is approved for use in medical, food, health, and beauty applications.
- Phenoxyethanol: This chemical compound is found naturally in green tea. It kills bacteria, mold, fungus, and other microbes to keep skin products safe. It can be used to add fragrance. It does not release formaldehyde, and it is considered safer than parabens. It is approved for use as a preservative and stabilizer in cosmetic products.
You can be assured that all TrueScience products are created with ingredients that provide the optimal balance between safety and efficacy. Click the link below to get more info about the TrueScience beauty system.